Friday, March 7, 2014

Lessons Learned...

So, it's been quite a while since my last post...but I have a good excuse...I have busy working on a large project with Annie's - a "Learn to Cross Stitch" video class. Over the last year we have been working on all the details - I have been writing a script, preparing five exclusive projects for the video, and gathering supplies and materials to use as props for the class. This week, I traveled to Berne, IN to their studios for two full days of filming (and the black cloud that has been following me made the trip too! - ugh!)...it was a lot of traveling and two days of hard work (the whole project was WAY more labor intensive than expected!)...I had to wear more make-up and hairspray than I have worn in my entire life...and I had to wear clothing that was not really my style and made me look old...but that was all needed for the bright lights and cameras. I had a bunch of very fun photographs of the set and filming....but I was told by the producer I could not share them, as they don't want their competitors to see how they do things...bummer...but I have a couple that I think are clear of technical details, just to give you a glimpse. The online class/DVD will not be ready for a while, as they still have to do quite a bit of production and editing...but I can tell you, it is a beginner class and covers all the basics - materials, tools, and notions - preparing for a project - how to read a chart - step-by-step Cross Stitch techniques - creative finishing ideas - pretty much all the basic information you can imagine. We cover Cross Stitch, Back Stitch, Partial Stitches, and pesky French Knots. If you know someone who can benefit from this Learn to Cross Stitch video, I'll be sure to post when it is available and all the specifics.




I did learn a few things - there are no good leafy green vegetables in the small town of Berne (especially in the winter) or healthy meal options...the weather was pretty much the same as in Iowa (cold/snow/ice/wind), except a little warmer and a little less snow...local taxi drivers will share all sorts of interesting personal information (yes, I heard an entire story from a man who walks his cat on a leash with a harness)...and I'm really good at reading from a teleprompter and not so good at "winging it" during filming (I'm just too detailed!)...

Another thing I learned - Schatzi must have really missed her momma and our daily walks...
We just replaced her crate pad last week - she had already destroyed one...then I repaired/covered it with my sewing skills, only to have her chew another big hole in it. So a few days before I left, her new crate pad from K9 Ballistics arrived - they claim to have virtually "indestructible" dog beds and crate pads that are "chew & scratch resistant"...well, her new TUFF crate pad lasted only four days. While I was out of town, I received this photo from my husband, showing the destroyed crate pad and the culprit...this was sent to the company to get our warranty replacement...


So now that my part of this huge video class project is complete, things should start to get back to normal. I have a few magazine deadlines to work on...a few new releases to prepare...more work on the new/improved website...more sewing/quilting projects...and a few surprises to complete, as well... Tonight and this weekend, I will take a deep breath and just dive in...

6 comments:

  1. Welcome home, Belinda! It sounds like you had an interesting learning experience! Even though the crate pad was destroyed, I love the photo of Schatzi with the demolished pad.

    Enjoy your weekend!

    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! I'm sure I can think of a few people who would benefit from a video like that! I can't wait to see the details!

    Love the photo of Schatzi - she looks sooo innocent...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your video helps pass the love of cross stitch to a whole new group of people!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had fun! Be sure to keep us posted about it! You are the Cross Stitch Rockstar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A learning tool to help stitchers is awesome! Just love the picture of Schatzi caption should read " who did that not me"

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great opportunity for both you and us! Looking forward to seeing this, you movie star!

    ReplyDelete