Friday, August 8, 2014

Handwork and Historical Samplers

My studio bookshelves are overflowing and I have been needing to simplify and narrow them down for months. For some reason, my collection keeps growing - could it be my obsession for all things done with a needle/thread and my endless quest for knowledge?? - I'm guessing so - in all honesty, I just love curling up with a beautiful and inspiring book...but when the book collection is starting to get stacked on the nearby table and on the floor, it is time to do a little house cleaning. Years ago, I began a large collection of books about handwork and historical samplers - quite a few of these books are out of print (OOP) or very rare....but it is time to start letting a few of them move on to new homes where they will continue to be loved and cherished. If you collect books about needlework or antique samplers or have a love for historical needlework, then you just may find a treasure you have been searching for...

Over the coming weeks, I will be posting photos (scans of front and back cover) and details of the actual books in my collection, along with pricing information in US dollars. If you are interested in any of the listings, simply send me an e-mail. E-mail messages will be honored in the order received. I will provide you with shipping options (please tell me where you are located or your mailing address in your e-mail message, so I can give you an exact quote), then I will send a PayPal invoice. I ship world-wide, package items very promptly and carefully, and will combine shipping if you are interested in multiple books. Once a book is spoken for, I will remove it or mark it as sold as quickly as possible. I have treasured these books and taken extremely good care of them - they come from a smoke-free home - and I will try to provide you with as many details as possible. My hope is to find new, loving homes where these special books will continue to be enjoyed...
Please click on photos for larger images.

Blue Ribbon Sampler: A Prize Winning Cross Stitch and Counted
Thread Sampler by Olwyn Horwood
SOLD Very Good (like new) - $190.00 plus shipping SOLD
Softcover - 2000 - 8.5" x 11" - 88 pages - color images
ISBN: 09-582105-3-5 Publisher: Georgeson Publishing Limited

Olwyn's Treasured Samplers by Olwyn Horwood
SOLD  Very Good (like new) - $47.50 plus shipping SOLD
Softcover - 2002 - 8.25" x 10.75" - 88 pages - color images
ISBN: 0-958-21058-6 Publisher: Georgeson Publishing Limited










Samplers by Rebecca Scott
Very Good (like new) - $22.50 plus shipping
Softcover - 2009 - 7.5" x 10" - 128 pages - color images
ISBN: 978-0-74780-706-3 Publisher: Shire Books

Emblems for a Queen: The Needlework of Mary Queen of Scots by Michael Bath
Very Good (like new) - $65.50 plus shipping
Softcover - 2008 - 8" x 10.5" - 172 pages - color images
ISBN: 978-1-904982-36-4 Publisher: Archetype Publications

Youth is the Time For Progress: The Importance of American
 Schoolgirl Art 1780-1860 by Olive Blair Graffam
SOLD - Very Good (like new) - $50.00 plus shipping - SOLD
Softcover - 1998 - 8.5" x 11" - 76 pages - color images
Publisher: National Society Daughters of the American Revolution - DAR Museum

 Catalog of the exhibit of samplers Dec 5, 1997 - May 4, 1998 at the
National Society of the DAR, Washington DC

A Gallery of American Samplers: The Theodore H. Kapnek Collection
by Glee Krueger
SOLD Good - $13.50 plus shipping SOLD
Softcover  - First Edition (1978) - 8.5" x 11" - 96 pages - color images
ISBN: 0-525-47515-X  Publisher: E. P. Dutton
Originally purchased used - cover corners/edge wear.

New England Samplers to 1840 by Glee Krueger
SOLD - Good - $62.50 plus shipping - SOLD
Softcover - 1978 - 7" x 8.5" - 227 pages
Illustrated with black and white photographs.
Publisher: Old Sturbridge Village - Sturbridge, Massachusetts
Originally purchased used - cover wear, edge wear
- all pages present - see scanned images.


Needlework: An Historical Survey by Betty Ring
 (Antiques Magazine Library)
SOLD - Good - $55.00 plus shipping - SOLD
First Edition (1975) - Softcover - 8.5" x 11" - 17 pages
Illustrated with black and white photographs.
ISBN: 0-87663-922-8 Publisher: Main Street/Universe Books
Originally purchased used - small tear in lower left front cover,
original price blacked out on back cover - all pages present
 - see scanned images.

Samplers by Carol Humphrey (Fitzwilliam Museum Handbooks)
Very Good (like new) - $20.95 plus shipping
Softcover - 1997 - 7" x 9.5 "- 140 pages - 64 color plates.
ISBN: 0-521-57592-3 Publisher: Cambridge University Press

This is just my very first offering - if you are looking to add to your needlework book collection, please check back over the coming weeks, I have a large list to add. If you are looking for a specific title, please e-mail me and I will let you know if I have it available. You are welcome to send me a message with any questions...

For now, I am back to stitching on my 2014 Komen 3-Day special design - it is nearing completion and I can't wait to share it with you...

2 comments:

  1. Are you sure the price is $190 dollars??

    Blue Ribbon Sampler: A Prize Winning Cross Stitch and Counted
    Thread Sampler by Olwyn Horwood
    Very Good (like new) - $190.00 plus shipping
    Softcover - 2000 - 8.5" x 11" - 88 pages - color images
    ISBN: 09-582105-3-5 Publisher: Georgeson Publishing Limited

    No offense, but it seems a bit out of line with the other prices you have on books. If it is correct, then I'm sorry to bother you.

    JHM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JHM (you are a no reply blogger, so I can't respond to you directly) - please do a little research on this topic and particular book - I did. This is a rare OOP book that is highly sought after - it is priced at the current market rate (actually a bit lower for perfect condition ) - check other book sellers and Amazon. Thanks.

      Delete