Monday, August 4, 2014

Scrap Basket Bouquet

Lately, I have been sewing/quilting daily...and I always save my fabric scraps...big or small...I just know that one day I will find the perfect use for each and every one of them (wishful thinking?). I have two large bins under my cutting table -  one for fabric scraps and one for batting/interfacing/fusibles...and they have finally both reached full (well, actually, overflowing) status. Over the weekend, I decided to dive into the scrap bin and pull out some fun bright colors for a flower bouquet wall hanging.

I had been itching to use two new AccuQuilt dies (both exclusive to JoAnn Fabric and Craft Stores)...GO! Flower Bunch and GO! Bow-2 1/2", 3 1/2", 4 1/2". I knew I wanted to make a bouquet of flowers...and the bow seemed perfect to tie them all together! I started by cutting an assortment of flowers and stems (I also utilized the GO! Simple Shapes by Edyta Sitar die for circles and stems) and laying them out on my cutting table. I decided I would use an 18" x 18" square of white fabric for my background and after fusing the bouquet in place, I found the 4 1/2" bow was the best size for my flower bunch. Once everything was machine appliquéd in place, I added several borders cut with my AccuQuilt GO! Strip Cutter dies (1", 1 1/2", 2 1/2"). I added a hanging sleeve and  my label to the back when binding. This cheerful wall hanging measures 25" x 25"...and I actually sold it before it was even completed (yay!). I am excited to experiment with more flower bouquet wall hangings and quilts - and, of course, I will share them here as my work progresses...





I also *have to* share the samples I made for AccuQuilt several months ago using the bow and flower bunch test dies....
Here is GO! Flower Ribbon Wall Hanging - the free pattern that comes with the GO! Flower Bunch die. This wall hanging is 42" x 42" and also uses the GO! Round Flower and GO! Rose of Sharon dies. We all know how much I love to do appliqué, so it was a real treat to make this sample quilt for them...



....and here is the GO! Festive Bow Table Runner (this is the free pattern that accompanies the GO! Bow-2 1/2", 3 1/2", 4 1/2" die) . GO! 4 1/2" Squares  were used for the packages and the GO! Bow-4 1/2" was used to top the presents. I can see these made up in different colors for assorted special occasions...I also think the bow would be fun to use in a ribbon border for a quilt. This table runner works up quickly and easily and measures 15" x 36"...a very fun afternoon project!



I hope my flower bouquet brightened your day...and that you enjoyed seeing more of my sample work for AccuQuilt. My sewing machine has been keeping me busy...and of course, that keeps me happy!

6 comments:

  1. WOW!!! Goodness your 'scrap' flower bouquet it beautiful... I love it :) But the WOW's dont stop there!! I really love everything you have made... its wonderful.. and all looks so pretty too. I love to see your sample work, brighten my day... of course!! You put a huge smile on it! The work you do for AccuQuilt is stunning and I love to see what you create... you make me want to 'have a go'! :)
    Smiles :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fabulous items you have created, Belinda! And I am not surprised that your wall hanging was sold before you even completed it. Go Belinda!

    xoxxo,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all wonderful. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have been busy! What a lucky girl you are to be able to work so closely with Accuquilt!! Love your work my friend! Now, if I could only get a run out that way.... lol

    ReplyDelete