Wednesday, July 29, 2015

All-Star Team Quilt

Hello and welcome - thanks for stopping by!

Today, I have a very special project to share with you...my All-Star Team Quilt. Recently, I was contacted to make a quilt out of Ohio State fabrics - now before you ask, YES, I am still a HUGE Michigan fan (GO BLUE!), but this was to be a gift for the customer's husband and I am always thrilled to have custom work...so of course, I took on the challenge. She allowed me to design the quilt and sent me five different Ohio State fabrics to use at my discretion - I just love it when my customers trust my artistic abilities and let me design and make the project my own. Of course, I thought the Ohio Star block would be perfect for this project, so I decided to alternate Ohio Star blocks and Nine Patch blocks to create a good size throw/lap quilt. I chose to use four of the Ohio State printed fabrics, a coordinating gray fabric, and a coordinating black fabric for the quilt top…and the fifth Ohio State printed fabric was used for the backing. I finished this quilt up last week and sent it on it's way...and I was happy to hear that the recipient is already enjoying it!


Would you like a FREE tutorial for this project?? Visit the AccuQuilt Blog, where I am a guest blogger and you can check out my pattern tutorial...I give you all the details to make an All-Star Team Quilt of your very own!
https://www.accuquilt.com/blog/education/go-tutorials/easy-quilt-blocks-for-football-fans/
Simply pick your favorite team fabrics and you are well on your way...you can have it completed in time for this coming football season...


The quilt I designed measures 68" x 68", but you can change the size simply by adjusting the number of blocks. I was able to quilt this project (with a little bit of patience) on my domestic machine (oh how I wish I could afford a longarm machine - in fact, I actually dream about it!). I used my AccuQuilt GO! Big Fabric Cutter and three cutting dies to cut this entire quilt (including binding):


As an extra treat, I made a coordinating standard pillowcase and placed the quilt inside for shipping. I also printed out washing instructions and placed the card inside the pillowcase - that way the customer knows how to care for the quilt.


Now, I will have to be on the lookout for yardage of five Michigan fabrics (not so easy to find in Iowa), so I can make one of my very own...and I hope my blog post will entice and inspire you to make one too...and if you do make an “All-Star Team Quilt”, I would LOVE to see your version!

5 comments:

  1. I love stars so this quilt is right up my alley!!! I know I can find Golden Gopher fabric here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a fabulous quilt you created from start to finish, Belinda! I know the recipient must be thrilled. I love both the star and the nine patch blocks.

    xoxox,
    Robin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great quilt. I always love star patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt (I'm a huge UofM fan too - Go Blue!) but I do love red and this is gorgeous!

    If you go to college fabrics.com, you'll find tons of fabric for U of M and lots of other schools - good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my - this is SOOOO pretty!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete